This coming year thousands of employers and managers will be working side by side on a daily basis working towards one common goal, to make the company successful. More workers will become disengaged and even discouraged making the work environment toxic and very discomfort able for the managers and HR department do to one thing THE LACK OF DIVERSITY.
“This is a tragedy,” says Diversity Speaker Jamahl Keyes, an author, speaker and diversity expert. “It is imperative that every company understands and embraces diversity in the workplace if they are to be competitive in this global economy, statistics have shown successful companies pay close attention and give attention to diversity in the workplace. It helps on decision making and the overall out come of the companies productivity.”
Here are the top 5 diversity issues that Plague the workplace:
- Generation Gaps: The larger the company and/or organization the more likely your workers and staff will range from early 20’s to senior citizens this can sometimes create unhealthy ‘cliques’ that will eventually separate your staff causing them to not communicate effectively.
- Consistency: Consistency and daily practice of diversity is something that managers consistently (excuse the pun) fall by the waist side. A managers job is to always rally the troops so that they will be productive. Unfortunately managers that don’t understand the importance of diversity find themselves consciously and/or un-consciously not being consistent in openly encouraging and embracing diversity.
- Communication: Even when no racism exist in the workplace a few of your employees (be it African American, Muslim, Hispanic, Asian and even Female) may feel secluded from the workforce because of the communication barrier among their team members. Ignoring the elephant in the room is not the answer! By addressing that there might be a communication problem and working towards solutions will pay huge dividends.
- Ethnic And Cultural Differences: Sadly some individuals harbor unfair prejudices towards certain genders, cultures and even religions. This can really stop and slow down productivity in the workplace. The best way to tackle this issue is to periodically have team building activities that are out of the work environment (their comfort zone). If its simply having a dinner with the staff at a well known restaurant or even setting a date aside for a team building speaker once a year. Studies have shown that people are more open to learn something new when they are out of their comfort-zone.
- Respect In The Workplace: If you are to build a great team of employees that are diversified, they must have respect for one another’s beliefs, lifestyles and work ethic. The key to creating a respectful workplace environment is to constantly and consistently remind the employees of the overall vision of the company.
Diversity Speaker Jamahl Keyes, has presented his Diversity Magic presentation for hundreds of School Systems, Colleges and Fortune 500 companies North and South America.
Diversity Speaker Jamahl Keyes uses comedy magic, story telling and case studies to teach easy to implement diversity techniques that literally work like magic.